Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Inspiration: Citron & Grey

My new found love for the color citron has started to take over.  We have a wonderfully fluffy grey blanket that will ward off the cold on even the chilliest of nights.  This blanket lives on our couch, as do our new citron pillows (which you can find the how to HERE).  The more that I look at the pairing, the more I love it.  White, Citron & Grey.  It's bright, it's fresh, it's sophisticated & it has been begging me to put together a bit of an inspiration board.  The question was, what room should I do.  I think it would be great in a crisp bedroom, and would be perfect for a living room, but I wanted to try to do something challenging & make it perfect for your dining room.


For someone who might not be too daring with color on the walls, or in your furnishings, the dining room is the PERFECT place to try out this color.  Now I know that I have a fascination with Grey, and have even done a grey, yellow and purple combo, but I feel compelled to get the images in my head out there for all to see.  Forget Honeysuckle, Citron is the color of 2011 for me!


Start with light grey walls.  I would stay in the cool palette, but this paring could work with a subtle beige as well.  Crisp white trim & beautiful citron curtains like these (and totally love this lamp too by the way!):


Photo: House Beautiful
Any color wood will work with this palette.  I tend to like dark woods & think that the bright yellow will wake them up, so that's what I am using for this inspiration board, but feel free to experiment with all colors of hard wood.

Kenroy Home Celestial Table Lamp - Amazon, Steel Circles Metal Wall Art - Bed Bath & Beyond,
Hive Vase - West Elm, Firepot Tealight Holders - CB2, Dimpled Drinkware - West Elm,
Modloft Greenwich Sidboard - Amazon, Uptown Parsons Dining Chairs - Target, Verona Table - Target,
Code Rug - CB2

It is easy to envision this board with a slighting lighter, almost chartreuse yellow/green as well.  The images I found were not quite as bright as I would have hoped for, but you get the picture.  The grey and yellow are extremely complementary & would go well with crisp white furniture, contemporary metal furnishings or traditional dark woods.

The use of bright table runners, metal centerpieces filled with lemons or even great bright art work on the wall can make this dining room yours.  And the base is all grey and white, so easy to change the scheme if you care too.

Check out the Citron & Turquoise Theme HERE, as it is similar with one more bold color to compliment it!

Happy Decorating!

No comments:

Post a Comment