Sunday, February 27, 2011

Magazine Holders

We have been busy this weekend getting a couple little projects done around the house.  If I must admit, I'm a bit of a magazine hoarder.  Not all magazines, just my Real Simple, Family Circle & Martha Stewart Living.  I have some older ones like the beloved and deceased Domino Magazine & a few Self's that I really liked.  I am prepared to box up and cut up a few that I really don't need anymore, but I love to have decorating ideas, design ideas & recipes at my fingertips.  For me, there is nothing like flipping through one of your favorite magazines to find them.

However, with lots of magazines comes magazine storage.... of which we do not have.  So I decided to invest in a quick little project.  I was able to pick up two plastic magazine holders.  They were clear, and I thought, what the heck, this could be a cute little project.  Why don't I spray paint them silver & use them on the shelves in the living room.

This is how we started:


We cleaned them out, and prepared them for spray painting.  We taped the back of each of the grids to keep the inside clear, but coat the outside.  We cut out construction paper and covered the flat surfaces.


The we used a metallic spray paint to coat the plastic.  We put two thin coats on everything.  While they are not perfect, they look pretty great for free!




I had to touch up the one on the right, as the finish was a little too matte, and they look perfect now.  We don't have a final resting place for them yet, but they will be part of the living room refresh.  Look for them in the final pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment