Friday, December 17, 2010

Color Inspiration: Bold Blue

For me there are two schools of thought when it comes to where to apply color in your home.  You either go bold on the wall, or bold with your furniture, so because it is much easier to change the color of your walls, I usually go bold on the wall, neutral with the furniture and accent with another bold color.


Today I want to attack a wonderfully bold color - navy blue.  Navy blue can be tricky.  If you pair it with red, it looks very "Americana".  It can end up looking a little too country-style when paired with yellow.  I also wanted to incorporate our color of the year into a palette & I think that this is the perfect time.


One of the hottest wedding color combos out there right now is navy and fuchsia... so I am going to take that idea, and put together a room.  I am going to stick with the living room, because I think that with these ideas, the color scheme can be easily translated into a bedroom or dining room.


Wall Art: Steel Circles - Bed, Bath & Beyond, Sofa: Henry Sofa - West Elm, Chair:Lucy Upholstered Chair - Target,  Tables: Parsons End & Coffee Tables - West Elm, Lamp: Pebble Table Lamp - West Elm, Throw: justblankets.co.uk, Pillow: Room Essentials - Target

A bold blue on the wall will make the room seem romantic.  Stick with a white trim - semi-gloss will give you a little bit of shimmer & make the flat blue dark and luxurious.  They honeysuckle is merely an accent, but can be used wherever you feel it fits.  A pair of pink chairs would be amazing in this room, and not too overwhelming if the walls are blue and the other furnishings are kept very neutral.

Add some mercury vases to the end tables & a silver bowl filled with wicker balls sprayed pink to the coffee table.  I love this combination of color & being that honeysuckle is the color of the year, I thought it was perfect to do this board now.  And I think that everyone can agree that this is not an overwhelmingly feminine room.  I think that pairing it with a masculine blue make the room perfect for everyone.

This absolutely makes me want to change a room  in our house!  Hopefully it insipres you as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment